Thursday, March 8, 2018

I Had a Little Kawaii Turtle




I had a little turtle when I was a child. Its name was “Speedy” since it had a orange racing stripe down its back, not because it was particularly fast.  Speedy lived in a bowl with a fake plastic tree. A strange fungus took Speedy from this mortal coil within a month of coming home from the pet store.  This song is in memoriam of all the short lived pet store animals and their sad owners.


Kids love the part where you pretend to eat bugs and minnows!

I had a little turtle,
make a fist and stick out thumb as turtle’s head
It lived in a box.
cover fist with other hand
It swam in a puddle,
mimic swimming motions with hands
It climbed on some rocks.
stack one hand on top of the other repeatedly
It snapped at a mosquito,
clap hands up to the left
It snapped at a flea,
clap hands up to the right
It snapped at a minnow
clap hands down to the left
and it snapped at me!
clap hands down to the right
It caught that mosquito,
grab imaginary mosquito, mimic eating it
It caught the flea,
grab imaginary flea, mimic eating it
It caught that minnow,
grab imaginary minnow, mimic eating it
But it couldn't catch me!
shake finger like “no,no,no…"


Here is a video from KCLS Tell Me a Story that is similar to the way I perform this rhyme:

And here is an Adolescent Mutant Ninja Turtle:


No comments:

Post a Comment