Thursday, November 1, 2018

All the Fish


I am always looking for ways to incorporate more music into my storytimes. Sadly, good kids music is hard to find. The other day, my coworker Urmilla wanted to know if I had felt pieces for Caspar Babypants’ song, “All the Fish.” I hadn’t considered it but it seemed like a great idea. So, I set about making one at once. I work with the best people!


Mr. Babypants is definitely my favorite “children’s” musician. My personal philosophy is that any music can be considered children’s music, within reason...sorry 21 Savage. I typically play a mix of kid’s music, R&B, rap, yacht rock, jock jams, new wave and electronica. 


I get super positive feedback from parents about playing more than Raffi and the Wiggles. (No offence intended, I DO love the Wiggles/Slipknot mash-up, tho) Particular favorites are “Crazy Train” by Ozzy, “It Takes Two” by Rob Bass and DJ EZ Rock and “Watch Me (Whip/Naenae) by Silento.

Here is my Toddler Spotify Playlist for your contemplation.

Please, suggest more song ideas in the comments, be they intended for kids or not...

Well, "All the Fish" is kids' music done right, IMHO. Lots of movement, pretending we are animals and very upbeat while not sappy!

While practicing the motions, I explain the song to them using felt pieces.



First we put our palms together to pretend our hands are fish and swim them back and forth in front of us.


We paddle with our hands and pretend to be ducks.


We pretend to be frogs, either using our hands jumping on our knees or by actually jumping up and down. 

We pretend we are pigs rubbing mud all over ourselves.

We pretend to splash with our hands.

Next we pretend to sleep as the hippos take naps in the water. (Which I advise against doing literally)

Repeat the swimming fish again. Then we practice making pretend bubbles rise with our fingers and then finishing with a clap, while saying, "Bubble, bubble, bubble, POP!" 


Then we sing the song and do the motions:


Word.


No comments:

Post a Comment