Thursday, July 1, 2021

Letter Train...in Space!

I've been looking for a way to visually represent the progress of storytime that is easily readable by young kids. The letter train is an attempt to serve this purpose while giving myself more space to display lots of felt things. I was going for a mashup of the Soul Train and a Pride parade.

So Extra! 

Just like me!



As we go through storytime, I move objects which start with the letter of the day from the flannel board to the letter train. We discuss each object and do a song, rhyme or fingerplay for each one. When the train is full, it is time to end storytime.

The backboard was created by upcycling out-of date corrugated plastic signage. I spray them with spray mount and cover with black felt. It is pretty easy to smooth out the wrinkles as you initially lay down the felt. I display using an easel. Instant feltboard!




Draw a P with your finger pencil!

Pop pop pop!
The popcorn's in the pot!
Pop pop pop!
The popcorn's getting hot!
Pop pop pop...
Popcorn!
(crouch and clap hands to rhythm;jump up at end)

(show closed fist)
One grew, two grew, and so did all the rest.
(extend finger one by one)
They grew and grew and did not stop.
(extend arms to get ready for a big clap)
Until one day that pod went "POP!"
(Clap hands)



Pretend to be a pig!



                                                                         PIGS IN SPACE!!!



4 comments:

  1. Mr. Keith, can you please share a sample script of your storytime? I'm thinking of doing a letter of the week format for my preschool group this fall (If we get to have a preschool group) and I'm curious about how it flows. It seems like you have lots of things that start with P, will there be a story/song/poem/etc to go with each of your p-items? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Look at my "Mr Keith is Still online" post. Two of them show me using the letter train. Glad you like it!

      Delete
  2. PS, I'm not going to use your letter train idea...it's too much for me and Mr. Bucket to handle!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is awesome! I will have to think about a letter train when we get back to in-person storytimes!

    ReplyDelete